Can we just take a moment to appreciate the gift that is blueberry season? In South Carolina, you can buy blueberries throughout the year that come from all over the world, but we all know that nothing compares to the sweet, ripe berries you get from local farmers in the summer months. It’s tough to beat handfuls of blueberries straight from the carton, but if you’re looking to add some decadence to these beautiful berries, here’s one of our favorite recipes.
Blueberry Breakfast Crisp
From: Trisha Mandes, MPHN,www.trishamandes.com
Yield: 6 Servings
3 cups blueberries (rinsed)
1 cups blackberries (rinsed)
9 dates, chopped
3/4 cup water
3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 ripe banana, diced
1. Turn the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix gently.
3. Pour filling into a pie pan or baking dish.
4. Place topping ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse a few times.
5. Spread the topping mixture evenly over the filling, and press down gently.
6. Cook for 30 minutes (until the topping is lightly brown).
7. Let the crisp sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Columbia’s Cooking Question
Ever sweeten your food with dates instead of sugar?
Scroll on down to the comments section and let us know!