Why it’s important to eat Whole Grains
You know how you hear all the time to eat more whole grains, to look for them on your cereal boxes, swap them for white flour products, etc.? Have you ever wondered why that is? We’ve heard that so many times, maybe we never asked why whole grains are so much better for us.
And maybe that’s why you haven’t made the switch to whole grain products or why you can’t bring yourself to buy whole grain pasta.
Welcome to the second week of our series on “What in the world is a whole grain and how you can eat them.” On the blog today: 6 Reasons to Eat Whole Grains.
I have to tell you– if we’re being honest here, I told Trisha this morning “I know how to explain what a whole grain is, and I know how to cook them, but why exactly should we eat them? You hear it so often, you don’t really think about why you should do it.” Don’t worry! I did my research, and all of the things I knew but forgot for a second came back. It’s good to question our thought processes every once in awhile!
Anyways, find 6 Reasons to Eat Whole Grains below and then share with us…
What’s your favorite whole grain to eat? OR what whole grain would you like to learn how to cook and eat?
Answer by entering your comment below.
Part of our post will be sharing recipes next week, so really it’s in your best interest to let us know what you like so we can have some recipes for you 😉
6 Reasons to Eat Whole Grains
- Whole grains contain fiber that lowers cholesterol, helps us feel full (so we stop eating) and cleanses our colons.
- Eating whole grains reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Fiber in whole grains supports better digestive health and reduces constipation.
- Eating whole grains reduces risk of stroke.
- Eating whole grains reduces risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Eating whole grains is associated with better weight management.
There you have it folks, see you next week!